Friday, May 17, 2013

Bakersfield CA ....Day One

Burnt Out RV in the Bakersfield RV Park  
 Our Spot
 
So we are officially out of Southern California and in the Central Valley...Bakersfield, Kern County. The little info packet we receved states that Kern County is the nations #1 petroleum producing county with ten of the largest oilfields.
We left home around 8:30AM and headed West on I-10 in strong winds under overcast skies. I followed Jack in my car, behind the 5th wheel, exactly 16.4 miles until I couldn't stand it any more and passed him.  Our route this year bypasses I-5 and takes us up I-215 through Tehachapi (instead of the Grapevine,  which is the devil) to 395 and eventually Hwy 99.  We passed the  small town of Boron where there is a "Twenty Mule Team Road" and claim to fame is the worlds largest producer of borax. Took us about three hours to reach Mojave, where I saw a sign " Hyundai: California Proving Grounds" There was a winding track off in the distance and I was tempted to take the ol' Buick through it's paces but decided to keep on course.  Jack and I met up again at Kramer's Corner which consists of gas stations and fast food restaurants before you head back into the desert.
Arrived at the Bakersfield Palms RV Resort around 12:30 PM. It is a clean park, not too far off the highway, and there were only two other rigs here in the "nightly" section when we pulled in. There is a nightly and a monthly area. The monthly area is quite full and it's where we saw the burnt out RV.The palm trees next to it are scorched and black.
As soon as we set up the 5th wheel we noticed the dust from our most recent wind storm at home had coated the window screens and settled inside on the counter tops. Jack removed the window screens and hosed them down while I cleaned inside. Ugh, it's always something it seems but thankfully nothing more serious than that.
Made a quick trip to the store for ice, stopped to pick up dinner at Baja Fresh and we're settling in for Happy Hour. I spotted a Starbucks for my morning latte and life is good!  Temperatures are a pleasant 78 and sunny. Tomorrow we head to Chowchilla and "The Lakes RV Park" for a week.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment